This is the first in a series by our CEO, Sarah! Please note there are hyperlinks in this post
There are many ways to find our balance. One way is through peer-to-peer support groups. In this post, we will share our reasons why we think they are great!
There are times when we just want to be heard and to have our feelings validated without being made to feel guilty or judged. Peer support groups are a wonderful way to express oneself in a safe environment with the proper supports.
Here are our top 5 reasons why peer support groups are helpful!
1) You feel less lonely. Having someone or a group of people that are going through the same thing as you is comforting. You feel less isolated.
2) They allow you to be open and honest. It always feels good to get things off your chest in a safe environment.
3) Helps reduce stress. According to the Mayo Clinic in California, taking part in a regular support group can reduce depression, anxiety and/or fatigue.
4) Learn helpful tips and tricks. Chatting with and learning from other parents and caregivers can help improve your skills to cope with any challenges you may be facing.
5) Feel empowered. Having your feelings validated and knowing you are doing your best by participating in self care activities can help you be a better caregiver is a wonderful feeling!
If you are looking to join a support group for caregivers and/or parents of individuals with diverse needs, we would love to have you! Please visit balancehamilton.ca to sign up! *
* Balance is now offering a FREE peer-to-peer support group for parents/caregivers of individuals with diverse needs. The group is facilitated by Cindy of Looking at Life through different lenses. There is an AM group and a PM group. The sessions are done over the Zoom platform and registration is required. Can't wait to see you!